Saturday, November 22, 2008

God speaks...Pt. 1

I have some stuff to say. I am not sure if this is for anyone but me, but you are welcome to read.
I feel I need to go back, way back to when I was six years old. It was at the age of six I first heard God speak. At the time, I don’t know that I even knew that it was God speaking, but that was when I acknowledged Jesus as Savior and Lord of my life, and the Bible says that I can only come to Him if He calls. I knew I was a sinner, I knew I wanted heaven, and didn’t want hell, and I knew Jesus died for my sin. That was more than enough for me.
To be honest, I don’t know that God spoke to me again until I was sixteen, He might have, but I must admit, I am not sure I was listening. At the age of sixteen though, God used a girl I was dating to speak to me. I still find this ironic, because, well let’s just say we did not have a God honoring relationship. Anyway, she started really getting on me about having direction in my life. One night she convinced me, and I went home and locked myself in my room. There I was in a broken down room, filled with the smell of mildew, and I started to pray. I then opened my Bible in a method I don’t recommend, but God still used and let it fall open, and with my eyes closed I put my finger down. It landed on Romans 8, I began to read and as the Lord was stirring me He stopped me at verse 28 and said, “You are the called, you are going to be my minister”. An interesting side note to this. I find out a year later that God had used this verse mightily in my Papa’s (grandfather) life, and he had claimed it as his life verse years and years before. That night I began to yield my life to that call.
The next two years were up and down as Satan waged war to keep me from following God’s call. God worked some miracles in my life during this time trying to get my attention. Like the time I was driving on a mountain road and fell asleep at the wheel, and God gave me a dream that I was about to drive off a cliff and it scared me so bad, I woke up just in time to turn before I would have driven off the cliff. Then, there was my bike accident where I tore up my mouth so badly the doctor said, “I don’t know if you will ever be able to eat normal foods or speak correctly again”. Within months, through much prayer from friends and family, I was able to do everything I was able to do before, and my agnostic doctor proclaimed, “I wish I had taken before pictures, because this is a miracle”.
At the age of 18, I started to pray for a wife who was seeking after God with all her heart and it was not long before I became friends with Stacy. At the age of 22, I married my beautiful wife Stacy and it was not long after that we moved to Toccoa, Ga. I know there is a lot of detail here, but I feel this story has to be put down. This was the beginning of God speaking to me. There is so much more to come…

No comments: